2017 – A Year of Exciting Changes
Ying TRSEF was launched to serve the many “orphaned” counties in NYS without direct affiliation with the Intel ISEF. Since 2006 every student has proven those counties rich with talented youth eager for actual scientific research and engineering design experiences. In 2017, each county will attend a regional affiliate in its own part of the state! Ying TRSEF has successfully worked itself out of a job.
Your 2017 affiliations:
Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua: Twin Tiers Regional Science Fair (St. Bonaventure)
Broome, Chenango, Jefferson, Tioga, Tompkins: CNYSEF (Syracuse)
Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben: CWS STANYS Science Congress (Rochester)
Clinton, Essex, Franklin, St. Lawrence: Terra Northeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair (Potsdam)
Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, Wyoming: Western NY Regional Science and Engineering Fair (Buffalo)
Herkimer, Lewis, Otsego: UCRSF (Utica)
Delaware, Sullivan: WESEF (Westchester)
Check out the Time Warner Connect a Million Minds Vimeo with Buffalo City Honors student Sydney Johnson representing Upstate New York students!
Our grand finale for the Ying TRSEF!
- NASA Guest Appearances – NASA Solar Ambassador Dr. Damian Allis; Dr. Gary Scott, Chair of Paper and Bioprocess Engineering at SUNY ESF; Roots and Shoots Board member Alexandra Sheridan
- Live Skype Visits – Tony Jimenez (CEO of MicroTech); Walter O’Brien (inspiration for CBS show Scorpion); Dr. Lynn Pasquarella (President of Mount Holyoke); Dr. J. Craig Venter (founder of the Institute for Genomic Research); Dr. Richard Zare (world-reknowned laser chemist)
- Live Conference Call following the fair – Dr. Mark Clampin (NASA Project Scientist for James Webb Space Telescope)
- Ying Scholars – $1000 scholarship recipients Scott Bollt (Potsdam High School) and Tyler Mucci (Windsor Central High)
- Intel ISEF Finalists – Scott Bollt (Potsdam High School – Third Place in Mechanical Engineering at Intel ISEF), Hakeem Salem (Buffalo City Honors), Ramzi Talhouk (Buffalo City Honors)
- National Science Foundation STEM Scholars – $20,000 OCC scholarship recipient STEM Scholar Mariah Bloise and Scholar Alternate Darienne Slocum, both Portville Central High School 11th graders
- Genius Olympiads – All three projects advanced to SUNY Oswego’s international competition received honors: Sydney Johnson and Hannah Slabodkin (Buffalo City Honors) Gold Awards; Tyler Mucci (Windsor Central High) Bronze and advancement to further competition in Turkey; Truth Muller (homeschooled) Honors
- Broadcom Masters – Advanced to national competition: Adam Bollt (Potsdam Middle School), Miranda Collette (Salmon River Middle School), Aurora Golden (Ithaca City School District), Sara Sienko (Seton Catholic Central High), Meadow Tarbell (Salmon River Middle School), Danielle Testani (Seton Catholic Central High), Michael Voorhis (Windsor Central High)
Don’t miss this Ying TRSEF video!